Friday, December 16, 2005

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

I can never remember how to pronounce the word: Chronicles if I am not staring at it.

On Monday, one of my co-workers wanted to know if I saw the Chronicles of Narnia.
He said it like this, " Hey, did you watch the **hmm hmm** of Narnia?"
I couldn't help but smiling.... one more person that couldn’t say the word: Chro-ni-cles-. :D haha~

I liked the movie a lot. I was surprised that my boyfriend liked it, too. In the first half of the movie where they tried to set up the story and the world of Narnia, I was a little worried that he might think it was too slow. I thought he would be anxious to see the lion and the battle scenes. Surprisingly, he enjoyed the story and enjoyed watching the fauns and the witch and the talking beavers coming to life.

For me, I especially liked little Lucy and her conversation with Mr. Tumnus. When they first met, Mr. Tummus looked at Lucy up and down and asked, "Are you a dwarf?" "No~~~" Lucy frowned a little then smiled, "I am a girl~~~ I am the tallest in my class." The whole theatre burst out laughing at the same time.
I am a little surprised she didn't say, "I am a human and this is earth. Now! Tell me where you come from, little faun?" Well, that would have just been boring, wouldn’t it?

The movie is rated PG. In the battle scenes, there was no blood shed except when little Edmund got thrust by the Witch in the chest. Everything else killed by the witch got turned into stones. I can't remember what happened to the animals killed by the lion's side.

Since C.S. Lewis wrote these books for his granddaughter, Lucy, who was a little girl at that time, he added a grandfatherly story teller figure in the book who would jump out and explain things occasionally. The story teller had said things like," You should never trap yourself in the closet with the door closed" or "She kicked her shoes off and keep her head above the water. This is what you should do when you fall in the water.” and other things to make sure a little girl can understand the stories. It's very sweet of him to do these. But they made the pace of the books slow for me to read. This is why I only got passed the first book after my friend bought them for me several years ago. (It is either that or I am too old for fair tales.) The movie didn't have the story teller to interrupt the pace. It made the movie a lot more enjoyable. The movie also visualized everything, such as, the fauns, the centaurs, the bulls with man’s heads, the White Witch, the great lion with his legendary hair. It makes everything so much easier for the less imaginative people like me. Who says movies and televisions make people stupid, huh?

I have started to read the next book, AGAIN. I still get frustrated occasionally because of the pace. But the unknown of the world in the Far East kept me from quitting.

No comments: