Thursday, January 19, 2006

When A Broken Roof Met the Rainy Season

Wind...
Strong wind...
Very strong wind...
It was 7 o'clock in the morning.....
I opened up my eyes.
I could hear the wind thrashing around the trees outside of my window...

"Ding ding ding..."
A phone rang.
When a phone is ringing, you have to pick it up.
But I missed it.

Played the voice mail on the speaker phone...
A man's voice coming through.... "Helloo....hello.....Feizi feizi.. hello!!"
(of course he said my real name instead of feizi)
He was out of breath...
The voice was not familiar to me. It was harsh and full of edges.... Not a former lover, that's for sure.

"It is your roommate."
Just when I was ready to ignore the whole incident and go back to sleep, the bf spoke up.

I dialed the number back.
"Ah Feizi feizi. I saw... I saw your car..."

We got out of bed. Fast. I couldn't remember the last time I got out of bed this fast...
I grabbed the cell phone.
I despite cell phones. Carrying a cellphone is like having a invisible rope tied around my neck. But I never go anywhere without it. Who knows when an important phone call will come in. Who knows when I will need to dial the three magic digits for rescue... all for the sake of the few important occasions...

We got on the street... sparkling...there are something sparkling on the street... all over the street...
Next to them was a white car. My white car.
The front wheels were turned in a way which made it seem like she was screaming to be driven.

She was screaming alright. But it was for something else.
Pain.
Someone, probably a thief, hurt her last night.
Her tears are over the street looking sparkling under the morning sunshine....
The wind had spread the tears even further. By then the whole block was covered by tiny sparkling glasses...

The wind was still blowing strong. It came through my jacket, through my sweater to my bare skin. I tried not to tremble. I tried to plant my feet firm in the ground. Only I had no control of my hair. My hair was growing wild in the wind.
I wonder if it was her scream that woke me up at 7 o'clock this morining.

I dialed 911.
They said I shouldn't touch anything, open any door until the policy officer came over.

"Sorry... I have to leave you on the street like this. Sorry....I can't clean you up yet." I thought to myself as I walked back to the apartment.

Before I turned the corner, I looked back at my little white car in the wind. Vulnerable is not enough to describe her.

After I turned the corner, the wind disappeared.


2 comments:

Camela said...

I am sorry to hear about your car. That's the bad thing about parking on the street. Did the theft just break one window, or more? What did they steal? Your NAVI?

Feizi said...

They broke the driver side window. They stole the Navi monitor. I used to unplug it after I parked the car. I got lazy and stopped doing that. :<